Triple Play: A Game Plan for Mind, Body and Soul
To teach youth how to make healthier choices, Boys & Girls Clubs of America (BGCA) Triple Play: A Game Plan for Mind, Body and Soul. This national program takes a holistic approach to educating boys and girls about good nutrition, making physical fitness a daily practice and developing individual strengths and good character. In addition to components for the mind and body, the Triple Play program gets at the soul of the Club experience – the gamesroom. Each Mind, Body and Soul program component can stand alone, yet integrating them allows Club members to reap more powerful, lifelong benefits.
- Healthy Habits: Empowering youth to eat right is a generation-changing, life-enhancing program goal, and Triple Play’s nutrition component, called Healthy Habits, covers the power of choice, calories, vitamins and minerals, the food pyramid and appropriate portion size.
- Pre-/Post-Tests: Three age-appropriate surveys and answer keys are available for downloading (view or print in Adobe Reader). Please remember to administer the surveys before and after your members participate in the program. This assessment method can help evaluate members’ knowledge and provide important local data that can be used for funding opportunities.
- Taking a systematic approach, this component boosts Clubs’ traditional physical activities to a higher level by providing sports and fitness activities for all youth – boys and girls, athletically gifted and those talented in other areas, children and teens alike. Daily Fitness Challenges: six challenges give youth at every age the chance to play longer and harder at different games – from jumping rope to basketball and creating games of their own.·
- Basketball Challenge
- Jump Rope Challenge
- Get Fit Challenge
- Walk/Run Challenge
- Home Run Challenge
- Invent-a-Sport Challenge
- Pre-/Post-Tests: Please remember to administer the survey before and after your members participate in the program. This tool can help assess members’ health and fitness knowledge and gauge your Club’s effectiveness as you seek funding opportunities to support your athletic initiatives
- Sports Clubs: Targeted to members 13-to-18, these year-round teen clubs develop members’ leadership skills; focus on community service and volunteerism; and offer Club sports, fitness, recreation and nutrition programs.
- Triple Play Games: are inter-Club competitions in multiple team sports for boys and girls ages 8 to 18. Triple Play Games competitions take place between four or more youth teams
- This social recreation program includes a resource guide, training and additional tools to run a top-notch gamesroom and social recreation program in the Club. The Smart Guide to Social Recreation: Effective Gamesroom Management and Leadership provides strategies and tools for running a gamesroom program.